Fans who were waiting for the Formula 1 season to start are obviously disappointed that the Australian Grand Prix and the other events got postponed due to the ongoing coronavirus threat.
Because of this, like most of us, various drivers and team officials have been trying to cope with the quarantine by engaging in different activities while staying at home with their loved ones.
However, there’s still some Formula 1 2020 news going around since the season is still deemed as postponed rather than being canceled altogether.
And here at SBOTOP, we aim to continue to feed our readers with some notable developments happening around the league amidst the coronavirus scare.
Today, here is a quick roundup of what’s happening around Formula One.
Chase Carey pens an open letter to fans
Formula One CEO Chase Carey offered an apology to racing fans since the season was put on hold due to the coronavirus.
In an open letter, Carey reiterated that the F1 season will resume at the earliest possible opportunity.
“First and foremost, our priority is the health and safety of the fans, teams, and organisations of Formula One, as well as the wider society. We apologise to those fans affected by the cancellation in Australia, as well as the postponement of the other races to date,” said Carey.
“These decisions are being made by Formula One, the FIA, and our local promoters in rapidly changing and evolving circumstances, but we believe they are the right and necessary ones. We also want to extend our thoughts to those already affected, including those in the Formula One family,” he added in the statement.
“We recognise everyone wants to know what comes next for Formula One in 2020. We cannot provide specific answers today given the fluidity of the situation. However, we plan to get the 2020 Championship season underway as soon as it is safe to do so.”
With the postponement of the Australian, China, and Bahrain Grand Prix, this season was slated to have a revised starting date on May 3. Furthermore, the Dutch and Spanish Grand Prix events, which are scheduled to take place in the first two weekends of May, are expected to be called off later this week.
Everyone in F1 giving McLaren a helping hand
McLaren were one of the first casualties of the coronavirus as one of their teammates were tested positive just last week.
With this said, their team was subjected to quarantine and they were sent home right away in order to mitigate the risk of its spread.
Before catching their flights back to the UK, McLaren officials went on to shop for a couple of gaming consoles and other entertainment materials such as Playstation 4’s, a Nintendo Switch, a keyboard, a dartboard, and some mini footballs.
But they also received some care packages that included food, drinks, and even tea bags from their rival constructors, which is an evidence that F1 is a big family after all.
“It’s great to see how the entire team stuck together in these difficult hours. We also appreciate our fellow teams in the paddock who offered immediate help on Friday to dismantle the garage and pack the freight, which was obviously a challenge for us missing 14 of our core guys. This is the spirit of F1 and racing we all embrace,” said McLaren principal Andreas Seidl.
“The support they have been getting from their teammates, our partners, members of the F1 community and fans from around the world has been fantastic,” added McLaren CEO Zak Brown.
Ferrari eyeing Daniel Ricciardo
It’s no secret that Daniel Ricciardo has been linked with joining Ferrari for quite some time now, but the chance of it actually happening will hinge on how Renault will perform this season.
In a recent interview, Renault principal Cyril Abiteboul insisted that Ricciardo’s departure from the team is far from a foregone conclusion and that the team will do everything they can to keep the 30-year-old.
“I think Daniel is very attached to his decision to go to Renault – which was heavily criticised. He’s someone who is guided by his emotions and I think he wants to show that he can be true to his choice. He wants to show that his choice [to sign with Renault] was a good choice,” said Abiteboul.
2021 will be huge for Formula One as topnotch drivers are expected to jostle for lucrative contracts. Ricciardo’s decision is seen as a key domino that might change the F1 landscape.
Moreover, Abiteboul said that they will be opening their doors to possibly adding Sebastian Vettel should Daniel Ricciardo move on. He also mentioned that the team is seriously considering to promote one of their drivers from their academy.
VISIT OUR BLOG TO GET YOUR FIX FOR ALL OF THE MOST CURRENT SPORTS NEWS STORIES & FEATURES